Residential Student Coordinator – Undergraduate Experience, Academic Year 2024-2025
This application will open on November 20th. Click here for the application.
Applications are due January 18th at 5 PM.
Job Description 2024-2025 Academic Year
The mission of Residential Life is to facilitate student transitions into the intellectual and social communities of the University of California, Berkeley and to promote personal wellbeing and respect for the community needs of all residents. Residential Life’s vision reflects a commitment to the intentional creation of effective and innovative programs aimed to empower students with the skills to become engaged campus and global citizens, and active agents of social change. The Senior Resident Directors (SRD), Resident Directors (RD), and the Live-In Student Staff will accomplish this mission through a combination of community building activities, student empowerment programs, and personal conversations. This is accomplished by the work of the 500+ student employees who work in the residence halls.
The Undergraduate Student Experience Residential Student Coordinator is responsible for assisting with the development and implementation of the undergraduate Residential Student Experience strategies. As an employee of Residential Life, the Residential Student Coordinator will adhere to, administer, and enforce policies and procedures as outlined in the Residential Life Student Staff Manual, the Residential Code of Conduct, the UC Berkeley Campus Code of Conduct University of California Personnel Policies and Procedures, and the University of California Policies applying to Campus Activities, Organizations and Students.
As a representative of the University of California, Berkeley and a member of the Residential Life staﬀ, the Residential Student Coordinator is expected to respect the personal integrity of all community members and assure they be treated in a manner that is fundamentally fair. Staﬀ should refrain from engaging in any behaviors, attitudes, relationships, or actions that:
- Would be considered harassment on the basis of gender, race, sex, sexual orientation, religion, nationality, citizenship, age, and/or ability.
- Would impinge on a resident’s or another staﬀ member’s dignity, moral code, privacy, self‐worth, and academic, physical, psychological, and/or emotional well‐being.
- Would seek unjustiﬁed personal gains, unfair advantage, unearned goods or services.
Creation and Implementation of Strategies (50%)
- Creates and designs weekly Newsletter with Information for the residential community
- Serve as a member of Student Experience Workgroup
- Contributes toward the success of others through efforts such as sharing of information, opinions and work product with colleagues.
- Gather information from campus of relevant events and activities happening in the community to send out
- Design and assist in execution of large scale strategies
- Assist with the planning and implementation of Golden Bear Orientation activities
- Assist with the planning and implementation of Cal Day
Assessment of Strategies (25%)
- Implement surveys using Roompact and other software systems
- Assess strategies in collaboration with the Assistant Director of Planning & Analysis
Research and Benchmarking (20%)
- Research other campuses best practices regarding student engagement and programming
- Maintain communication with campus partners
Additional Duties (5%)
- Other duties may be assigned by supervisor
- Projects can be developed to meet the interests of the Undergraduate Student Experience Coordinator
- Undergraduate student in good standing with the university and possesses a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA and good standing with the University at the time of application and throughout the period of employment. Please note that GPA does not round up, any GPA below a 2.0 (1.999 or below) will make you ineligible for this position.
- Full-time academic status (12-13 units per semester) during the period of employment.
Terms of Employment
- Abide by all Housing and Residential Policies as outlined by the Residential and Campus Code of Conduct. Failure to abide by these policies may result in personnel action up to and including dismissal.
- Maintain the required 2.300 minimum G.P.A. throughout the term of employment. The Undergraduate Student Experience Coordinator must submit a copy of an official grade report to Residential Life. Spring 2023 grade report must be submitted by July 1, 2023 while the Fall 2023 grade report must be submitted within the first week of classes of the Spring 2024 semester in order to ensure compliance with the academic requirements of the position.
- Maintain full-time academic status (12-13 units per semester) throughout the term of employment. Exceptions must have prior approval of the Resident Director and Assistant Director.
- The period of employment for this live-in position commences with the start of student staff training as early as Monday, August 5, 2024 (negotiable) and concludes Sunday, May 11, 2025 with the closing of the residence halls.
- Undergraduate Student Experience Coordinators are expected to work during some evenings, weekends and holidays. A commitment of approximately 19 hours/week is expected (some weeks may be more, whereas others may be less, depending on time of year, events, issues in the hall, etc.), which includes but is not limited to, engaging with residents, required meetings, duty coverage, program implementation and attendance, being visible and available to residents, and addressing the specific needs of the community.
- The Undergraduate Student Experience Coordinators are restricted to no more than fifteen hours of outside commitments (i.e. running for ASUC, club participation, additional employment, both on and off campus). Exceptions must be discussed and approved in advance by the Resident Director or Assistant Director.
- Continued employment is contingent upon a satisfactory job performance evaluation by the supervisor. Satisfactory job performance evaluation is defined as meeting expectations as defined by the job evaluation in all areas of the job description.
- The Undergraduate Student Experience Coordinator positions are for the academic year. Candidates who wish to continue during the subsequent summer or academic year must apply through the designated process.
- The Undergraduate Student Experience Coordinator who displays psychological behavior which raises concerns about fitness for the position may be required to complete an assessment of fitness and ability in order to continue in the position.
- The Undergraduate Student Experience Coordinator will receive room and board during the period of employment as compensation.
- Living arrangements may range from a single room to a shared apartment space, depending on the departmental need.
- The Undergraduate Student Experience Coordinator will receive the top tier residential meal plan.
- Maintain positive working relationships with other Residential Life Staff.
- Maintain confidentiality and objectivity in all matters related to students and staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the staff of Residential Life.
Background Check Requirement
This position is subject to a criminal background check. This position meets the following background check criteria:
- Access to detailed personally identifiable information about students, faculty, staff, or alumni which might enable identity theft.