Due to Covid-19 Pandemic, Academic Center are open with limited hours.
Our Academic Centers provide a one-stop-shop for academic support, services, and resources for students living in the residence halls. One of the benefits of living in-residence is that you don’t have to go outside your home to find peer advising, tutoring, and flexible study spaces.
And it’s all provided to you at no additional charge — all these services are available to you as part of your residence hall fees.
Whether you would like extra help with coursework, need to talk to someone about choosing a major, or just want a place to study with your friends, the Academic Centers located in the residence halls are the place to go. All of the below services take place in the Academic Centers.
Academic Center Hours
Check the Academic Center for their hours.
- Study SpacesThe Academic Centers provide flexible study spaces. You can study alone or comfortably work with a group of friends. Want to work in a group setting but have a bit of privacy sometimes. Tables, chairs, chalkboards, and bulletin boards make it easy for study partners to support each other through late-night sessions.
- Technical SupportStudents can contact Student Technology Services for technical support. Student Technology Consultants (STC) are ready to answer questions, provide technical support, and give computing advice free of charge.
- TutoringResidential Life provides online tutoring support and exam review sessions throughout the units for some of the more popular lower-division courses. The Residential Tutoring Program is a great academic support service provided by trained tutors, who are all undergraduate Berkeley students and have earned at least an A- grade or higher in the subject they tutor. For optimal academic achievement, we encourage students to build relationships with their instructors/professors during office hours, utilize the services of the Student Learning Center (SLC), and, in the evenings when studying at home in the halls, Residential Tutoring is there to further support learning and academic success.
CoursesTutoring support is available for the following courses. Check the online schedule (to the right) for daily and weekly schedules. Chemistry: 1A, 3A, 3B Math: 1A, 1B, 10A, 10B, 16A, 16B, 32, 53, 54 Physics: 7A, 7B, 8A, 8B Writing: all undergraduate writing courses
How The Residential Tutoring Program WorksThere are 3 layers of academic support that tutors provide:
1. Online TutoringOnline tutoring is offered Sundays through Thursdays 8:00pm-10:00pm beginning the first weekend of the semester through the last day of classes. Appointments are required. Students who live in the residence halls can access online tutoring support, typically, within their unit of residence. To know where and when, residents can access the online tutoring schedule in their weekly newsletters. When going to online tutoring, it’s really important students come with their course materials, like syllabi, problem sets, or a writing assignment. Tutors support students from the course materials students bring with them.
2. Midterm/Exam Review SessionsMidterm/exam review sessions are offered in chemistry, math, and physics throughout the semester, and are scheduled based on when exams are scheduled. Typically, review sessions are offered 1-2 nights before the day of an exam. To know if a review session is being offered, residents can access those announcements in their weekly newsletters.
3. RRR Week: Extended Online Support and Final Exam Review SessionsDuring RRR week, Residential Tutoring offers extended online support in selected subjects and review sessions for final exams in chemistry, math, and physics. These supports are typically finalized during the last week of classes each semester, and posted in the weekly newsletters to residents.
- Peer AdvisingWe partner with the L&S Academic Advising staff to provide in-house peer advising for students living in the residence halls. the L&S Peer Advisors are generally juniors and seniors from a wide variety of backgrounds and academic interests, who enjoy helping other students find their path to success. The L&S Peers have recently experienced what you are going through, understand the Berkeley culture, and have achieved academic success. L&S Peers can help you pave your way to success by focusing on your academic plans through informed decision making about issues that affect your academic progress, and by directing you to intellectual and mentoring resources that support your interests. And you don’t have to venture outside your home to benefit from peer advisors. The L&S Peers provide support throughout the residential system! Check your weekly newsletter for their drop-in schedule.