⚠   Notice – The latest updates on the evolving COVID-19 policies and resources for the campus community.
Housing and Res Life COVID-19 FAQs.

Conduct FAQs

I did not do anything so can I just skip this meeting?

No. If you received an Alleged Violation Letter, this is an opportunity to share your recollection of the incident with the conduct officer assigned to your case. The conduct officer will utilize all of the information available to them to make a decision in regards to your case.

What happens if I miss my meeting?

The conduct process will proceed and the conduct officer will make a decision in regards to your case. You may email your conduct officer and/or resconduct@berkeley.edu if you have any questions.

Why do I have a Residential Conduct Block on my Cal Central account?

If you have an administrative block placed by Residential Conduct, it is due to an overdue sanction(s). Please read your Decision Letter and complete the sanction in order to have the block removed. If you have any questions, email resconduct@berkeley.edu.

I do not agree with the decision/sanctions, what do I do?

Upon receipt of the decision, residents may submit a written appeal within five (5) business days from the date of the decision. The appeal process exists to review whether the decision of responsibility was appropriate. Residents appealing their decision must have a clearly articulated rationale, that goes beyond not liking the outcome. Appeals that do not meet the criteria may be denied. For more information, visit reslife.berkeley.edu/conduct/residential-conduct-process.

Is this going to impact my medical/law/graduate school application?

We cannot guarantee what will and will not impact your academic endeavors. Generally, Residential Conduct does not share conduct information with other entities unless the violation had a significant impact on the student or the community (ie. Housing Exclusion).

Will this impact my internship or club/organization applications/eligibility?

Residential Conduct does not typically inform internships or clubs of a student’s residential conduct record.

Will my parents/guardian/family be notified?

Residential Conduct does not typically inform a student’s parents/guardian/family. We reserve the right to contact family in certain incidents.

Regarding timeline of decisions - Why do I have to wait to hear back about the decision from my conduct meeting?

The conduct officer will take time to gather all information, process it and make an informed decision. The conduct officer may need some time to process the information before disclosing their decision and sanctions if found responsible.

What I can expect from a conduct meeting?

The goal of a conduct meeting is to talk about the impact of the incident on the individuals involved and the community through a restorative lens. During the meeting, you will be able to discuss what happened during the incident and reflect on the impact of the incident and how to move forward. If found responsible, you may receive sanctions that typically come with deadlines.

Will this be visible on my academic transcript?

Residential conduct violations do not get placed on a student’s academic transcript.

Why is my outcome different than my friend’s who was also documented for this or a similar incident?

Each incident is unique and may be heard by a different conduct officer. Each officer will utilize the information available to them to make a decision. If you are found responsible and are interested in appealing the decision, please read the appeal section under the residential conduct process page.

Will this affect my financial aid/scholarships?

Typically, the Residential Conduct process does not impact a student’s financial aid unless a student is excluded from housing. You should consult with your financial aid counselor if you have any questions in regards to financial aid.

What do I do if I have class during the AOD workshop?

Please contact Social Services to ask for other times they may offer. If none of the times work with your class schedule please contact resconduct@berkeley.edu to discuss alternatives.