Student Staff Hiring Coordinator, 2018-2019
THE STUDENT STAFF HIRING COORDINATOR APPLICATION IS NOW CLOSED
Student Staff Hiring Coordinator, 2018-2019
Residential and Student Service Programs
The goal of RSSP’s residential communities is to create safe and inclusive living learning communities that foster holistic education and global citizenship.Residential Education’s vision reflects a commitment to the intentional creation of effective and innovative programs aimed at developing students to be engaged campus and global citizens, and active agents of social change. The professional staff, and the numerous student staff they supervise accomplish this through a combination of educational events, community building activities, student empowerment and personal conversations. This is accomplished by the work of the 500+ student employees who work in the residence halls.
The Hiring Coordinator plays an integral part in the development and coordination of the recruitment and selection processes for over 500 student employees including Resident Assistants, Tutors, Security Monitors, and several administrative positions. The Coordinator will develop and carry out a comprehensive marketing plan as well as coordinate the application, interview, hiring and onboarding process. The Coordinator will also ensure a professional and positive experience for all applicants to the positions.
The Hiring Coordinator’s role encompasses developing marketing strategies, project management, large-event coordination, and positively representing the department. Collaboration with peers and other professionals in the department is essential is essential in the success of this Coordinator, therefore, flexibility, creativity, professionalism, time management, and an ability to work independently is required. The responsibilities listed will be carried out under the supervision of the Manager for Student Initiatives & Special Projects and/or the Assistant Director of Residential Education.
Process Management (40%)
- Assist with the development and implementation of multiple academic year and summer hiring processes for the 2017-2018, Summer 2018, and 2018-2019 academic year. This includes helping to establish the creation of the overall selection goals and process under the advice of the professional staff in RSSP.
- Develop and deliver informative and engaging interest sessions for varying audiences around campus.
- Coordinate all room reservations and catering needs for info sessions and interviews.
- Develop materials and updates to inform the professional staff in the department about current hiring processes.
- Assist in development and follow through of the position-specific hiring timelines.
- Assist with the creation of application and interview materials for all positions.
- Responsible for the collection and filing of all application materials, essays, grade reports, recommendation forms, and acceptance letters.
- Track and regularly update candidate status and candidate rosters.
- Assist in implementation of interview process; coordinate on-site at interviews and provide direction for participants.
- Transcribe and organize all interview results.
- Provide onboarding instructions and support for new student hires, including, but not limited, to coordinating payroll information, scheduling mass hire sessions, work-study, scheduling background checks, and separating students leaving the positions.
- Regularly update online application forms and databases, be able to provide timely information to stakeholders.
- Perform outreach to various student groups and populations; do additional presentations at meetings and communicate with contacts and campus partners about positions.
- Maintain correspondence with potential candidates and campus partners relating to all matters relating to hiring processes. Maintain and regularly check hiring email account (at least once every 24 hours).
- Design or assist marketing staff in designing recruitment website; regularly update website information.
- Develop and implement a marketing plan in collaboration with other stakeholders that will reach a broad spectrum of the UC Berkeley diverse student body.
- Coordinate mass correspondence to candidates including interview notification and candidacy status letters.
- Create and maintain accurate employee rosters.
- Order and maintain all office and administrative supplies necessary for the planning and implementing staff selection.
- Meet as requested with the professional staff to report progress on selection tasks and upcoming deadlines. Be in direct communication with supervisors about progress of work.
- Gather input from student and professional staff and review department needs in relationship to selection.
- Work with the Hiring Team to develop and implement training for professional and student staff on the interview process, norming procedure for application reviewing, and hiring standards.
- Develop evaluation tools for the overall selection process for candidates, hall staff, and professional staff.
- Compile and review the feedback from the evaluation processes.
Other Duties (5%)
- Other duties as assigned
- Undergraduate or graduate student in good standing with the university and possessing a minimum 2.300 cumulative GPA and good standing with the University at the time of application and throughout the period of employment. Please note that GPA does not round up, any GPA below a 2.300 (2.299 or below) will make you ineligible for this position. Hiring Coordinators are not required to be enrolled in academic courses during employment for the summer.
- Full-time academic status (12-13 units per semester) during time of application and throughout the period of employment. Exceptions must have the prior approval of the Director of Residential Education.
- If currently employed in other positions in RSSP, must be meeting expectations if employed in other positions other positions in RSSP.
Previous experience in administration, event planning, leadership, or project coordination.
Terms of Employment
- The period of employment for this position is for the entirety of the academic year and/or summer. A minimum time commitment of 10 hours weekly will be expected during the Fall and Spring semester. Some evening and weekend hours are required. Summer employment is also available, but not required.
- Any major time commitments (i.e. summer school, additional employment exceeding 15 hours a week, etc.) outside the Hiring Coordinator position must be discussed and approved by the Assistant Director of Residential Education prior to accepting the position.
- The Lead Hiring Coordinator must submit a copy of an official grade report in order to ensure compliance with the academic requirements of the position following completion each semester.
- Continued employment is contingent upon a satisfactory job performance evaluation by the supervisor. Satisfactory job performance evaluation is defined as meeting expectations as defined by the job evaluation in all areas of the job description.
- The Hiring Coordinator position has a payroll classification of Assistant III and receives compensation of $16.50/hour.
Maintain positive working relationships with others Residential and Student Services Programs.
Be responsible with special staff privileges (i.e. use of office, phones, keys, office equipment, etc.).
Maintain strict confidentiality and objectivity in all matters related to all candidates, current professional and career staff, and office information.
Follow established administrative processes such as reimbursement, purchase orders, and contract approvals.
Nondiscrimination Policy Statement for University of California
The University of California, in accordance with applicable Federal and State law and University policy, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition (cancer related or genetic characteristics), ancestry, marital status, age, sexual orientation, citizenship, or service in the uniformed services. The University also prohibits sexual harassment. This nondiscrimination policy covers admission, access, and treatment in University programs and activities. Inquiries regarding the University's student-related nondiscrimination policies may be directed as follows: Sex discrimination and access: ADA/504 Compliance Office, (510) 643-5116 (voice or TTY/TDD); age discrimination: Age Discrimination Act Coordinator, (510) 642-8471. Other inquiries may be directed to the Academic Compliance Officer, 200 California Hall #1500, (510) 642-2795.
Background Check Requirement
This position is subject to a criminal background check. This position meets the following background check criteria:
Access to detailed personally identifiable information about students, faculty, staff, or alumni which might enable identity theft.
Provides health and safety training, guidance on safe work practices, provides proper equipment, observes work practices and correct methods, and investigates accidents. Works in a safe and responsible manner while not putting self or others at risk. This includes complying with applicable policies and regulations; using personal safety gear; observing warning signs; learning about potential hazards; and reporting unsafe conditions.
Please upload as a single pdf document:
(1) a resume, no more than two pages, that lists your paid and unpaid leadership experiences. For each experience, please list your title, the location, the length of time, and most importantly, the duties you performed.
(2) Answers to the following questions, no more than 2 pages:
Why do you want to be a Hiring Coordinator?
What are strengths you would bring to the position? What aspects of the position would you find challenging? Why?
Please contact email@example.com with any questions. Thank you for your interest in the position!