Health and Safety - old

Health and Safety

Your health and safety is a priority. The residence halls have psychological and safety services to help ensure your well-being and safety.

Please note, this website contains general safety information. To report an in-progress incident or emergency, call 911 or 510.642.3333 from a cell phone on or near campus.

Special Health Concerns

If you have special health concerns the staff should be aware of, please inform your residential staff member. This information will be kept confidential but is vital in the management of an emergency.

Psychological Services

Counseling and Psychological Services has a satellite office that serves the residence halls. Aaron Cohen, PhD, consults with the residence life staff about mental health issues in the halls and is available to see students as well. For more information, contact Counseling and Psychological Services at 510.642.9494. You may also contact your Resident Assistant. 

Personal Safety and Security Services

We encourage you to use one of the Night Safety programs offered by UCPD, rather than traveling alone at night in or around campus. These services include BearWALK, shuttle, and door-to-door service. 

BearWALK: Campus Night Escort Service

BearWALK safety escorts are available to walk with you to your destination. For example, they can escort you from the library to your residence hall, car, or to public transportation.

To request an escort, call 642.WALK (9255) 15 minutes before you need the escort.

BearWALK Service Hours: Dusk to 3 a.m.

Door-to-Door (Shuttle) Service Hours: 3 a.m. to 5:30 a.m. (If you call for a BearWALK escort between these hours, a shuttle will take you to limited locations.) Learn more about Door-to-Door service.

Safety Shuttles

Three safety shuttles are available to transport you to numerous locations throughout campus, near campus, and to the residence halls. You can see stops, routes, and track your shuttle on a map and estimate arrival time.

Residential Student Liaison Program

Through the Residential Student Liaison Program, a police sergeant volunteers to work regular shifts at the residence halls, including Units I, II, and III, and Albany Village. The goal is crime reduction and improved personal safety. In addition to other duties, including managing the Residential Security Patrol Program, Security Monitor Program, and Residential Student Liaison Officer Program and giving safety presentations, the officers are available to answer student questions.

The current Residential Student Liaison is Sergeant Billy Brashear.

Personal Safety Tips

In cases when you cannot access safety services, the following tips may help: 

  • Plan travel ahead of time with safety in mind.
  • Travel with a friend or in a group.
  • Be alert and aware of your surroundings.
  • Avoid using ear buds and texting so that you can hear and see what is going on around you.
  • Avoid dark, vacant, or deserted areas.
  • Use well-lit, frequently traveled routes.
  • Dress in clothes that will not hamper mobility.
  • Pre-program your mobile phone with the UCPD emergency number, 510.642.3333.
  • When walking, especially crossing the street, look up from your phone.  

If you sense you are in danger:

  • Move away from the potential threat, if possible.
  • Join any group of people nearby.
  • Cross the street and increase your pace.
  • Go to an open business.
  • Call 911 from any phone or 510.642.3333 from a mobile phone.
  • Call UCPD Emergency from a campus emergency telephone or blue light phone.

Emergency phones marked by a blue light are located at various points around campus. Use them if you find yourself in trouble or if you notice someone else having difficulty. The University Police Emergency number, 911, is listed on each of these phones.

Resources and Reporting Options for Sexual Harassment or Sexual Violence


Please note that hall staff are not confidential and are required to report issues brought to their attention related to sexual harassment and sexual violence and other types of crimes. There are places on campus, however, where a student can seek resources and receive confidential advice regarding reporting options.

Obtain Confidential Advice or Report a Sexual Assault or Case of Gendered Violence

The Confidential Care Advocate provides affirming, empowering, and confidential support for survivors and those who have experienced gendered violence, including: sexual harassment, dating and intimate partner violence, sexual assault, stalking, and sexual exploitation. Advocates bring a non-judgmental, caring approach to exploring all options, rights, and resources.

You can set up an appointment with the Advocate by calling 510.642.1988.

For a comprehensive list of resources and reporting options related to Sexual Harassment & Sexual Violence, see: